I guess I’ve been accidentally plugging Amazon original streaming content lately. Well, this post will be no exception. It’s “pilot season” on Amazon. And that means you get to watch a bunch of pilot episodes and then help Amazon decide which episodes will get a full season order.
So that’s pretty amazing. And basically it’s like they’re making all of my TV fanatic hopes and wishes come true.
There are 12 pilot episodes up for screening and feedback. Half of them are for children, but here is a brief rundown of the 6 pilots for grownups:
- One Mississippi–Tig Notaro stars in this black comedy loosely-based on her life. But I have to warn you, I love Tig Notaro but I stopped watching this after 3 minutes because it was too even darker than her usual fare.
- Z–Christina Ricci stars in this historical fiction piece about Zelda Fitzgerald. Atrocious southern accents abound, but if you can get past that it’s pretty interesting.
I haven’t sampled the rest of these, so here are Amazon’s descriptions:
- Highston–“Highston Liggetts is a kind and curious 19-year-old struggling to find his place in a world he doesn’t quite understand. To help him cope, Highston imagines a constantly changing roster of celebrity friends who provide him with comfort and advice – much to the concern of his bewildered but empathetic extended family.”
- Patriot–“Intelligence officer John Tavner’s latest assignment, to prevent Iran from going nuclear, requires him to forgo all safety nets and assume a “non-official cover” as a mid-level employee at a Midwestern industrial piping firm. A bout with PTSD, the government’s incompetence, and the intricacies of keeping his day job cause a barrage of ever-escalating fiascos that jeopardize the mission.”
- Good Girls Revolt–“In 1969, while a cultural revolution swept through the free world, there was still one place that refused to change with the times: newsrooms. Good Girls Revolt follows a group of young female researchers at “News of the Week,” who ask to be treated fairly. Their revolutionary request sparks convulsive changes and upends marriages, careers, sex lives, love lives, and friendships.”
- Edge–“Missouri, 1865. Josiah Hedges aka “Edge” returns home from the Civil War to discover his closest comrades-in-arms have betrayed him, sparking a bloody reign of vengeance. A mysterious beauty crosses Edge’s path, and together they will uncover a dark conspiracy that extends to the highest ranks of American power. From Shane Black (Lethal Weapon, Iron Man 3).”